The "Colectiv" Nightclub fire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Colectiv" Nightclub fire

So, this is something that happened a few months ago and people still talk about it. A documentary made by Discovery will air this Sunday. The first weeks were tragic, we're talking about a close space with hundreds of people inside, trapped as the one exit was too small for quick escape. This tragedy made Romanians be united for a cause, to save the injured people and to make everything possible so it does not happen again.
    Here's the link to the article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colectiv_nightclub_fire

Over recent years there have been quite a few of these nightclub fires, mainly because the club owners and promoters are putting money before the safety of their customers.

The trouble is aswell, no matter what regulations are in place, nobody knows they're being broken until something like this happens and the nature of the fire gets looked into.

Even over here in the UK, we have some of the strictest health and safety policies in place and guidelines that these establishments have to abide by, but unless they get checked every night before they open, nobody can be sure they're actually being followed.

Comment

I have also heard about fires breaking out in nightclubs several times. I just noticed that most nightclubs have narrow exits and it makes me wonder why they are still allowed to operate this way. A similar thing also happened here in my country years ago and up to this day, the victims weren't able to receive justice for what happened to them. Around 160 people died during that fateful night. The fire exit was blocked by a neighboring building and the only exit they had was blocked by the nightclub guards who thought that there was just a riot going on inside the club.

Comment

Originally posted by gracer View Post
        I have also heard about fires breaking out in nightclubs several times. I just noticed that most nightclubs have narrow exits and it makes me wonder why they are still allowed to operate this way. A similar thing also happened here in my country years ago and up to this day, the victims weren't able to receive justice for what happened to them. Around 160 people died during that fateful night. The fire exit was blocked by a neighboring building and the only exit they had was blocked by the nightclub guards who thought that there was just a riot going on inside the club.
        I think you're referring to the Ozone Disco Club fire which happened 20 years ago (I was still in elementary school then): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone_Disco_Club_fire. It was such a tragic incident. Most of the deaths were caused by the stampede that ensued after the fire broke out. The place was so small and there were hardly any exits.

Comment

You're right xTinx. I think the tragic event is about to mark another year this March 18. I was also in grade school when that happened. It was all over the local news for quiet awhile. It was considered to be the worst nightclub disaster in the Philippines and one among the worst in the world. What's even more saddening is the fact that most of the people who were inside the club that time were graduates who were just there to celebrate their success in school and finally being able to earn their diploma after a long time of hard-work in school.

Comment

You're right xTinx. I think the tragic event is about to mark another year this March 18. I was also in grade school when that happened. It was all over the local news for quiet awhile. It was considered to be the worst nightclub disaster in the Philippines and one among the worst in the world. What's even more saddening is the fact that most of the people who were inside the club that time were graduates who were just there to celebrate their success in school and finally being able to earn their diploma after a long time of hard-work in school.
            Hmmm... I also heard in the news that one of the exits have the door going inside. And so people were panicking and they cannot open the exit's door because they were all crowded inside. It really is a terrible incident. My mom's former officemate's son died in that incident. They were suffocated and burned as well. I don't know though if right now, justice has been served. But I'm glad that such incidents have not happened anymore since more clubs and bars became more compliant with the guidelines set by the authorities.

As far as the Collective nightclub tragedy though, here's an article about it. It's truly another devastating tragedy. There were 45 casualties, including members of the bands who played there.
            Bogdan Enache died after attempt to move him to Switzerland, the fourth death related to the fire to be reported on Sunday
            gracer likes this.

Comment

That was really tragic. Dying so soon, without even a chance to prove themselves and make a difference in society. I did hear about an actress who intended to mingle with friends in the club on that day but was saved because her strict mother forbade her to go. And yes, Briannagodess, thankfully clubs are no longer as completely locked up as they used to be in the past. Everyone can freely enter and leave with security guards stationed outside the exits.
              Briannagodess and gracer like this.

Comment

Originally posted by xTinx View Post

That was really tragic. Dying so soon, without even a chance to prove themselves and make a difference in society. I did hear about an actress who intended to mingle with friends in the club on that day but was saved because her strict mother forbade her to go. And yes, Briannagodess, thankfully clubs are no longer as completely locked up as they used to be in the past. Everyone can freely enter and leave with security guards stationed outside the exits.
                Thankfully, that actress's mother just saved her life. We cannot say the same for the other casualties though. Up to this day, justice is still waiting to be served. Anyway, yes, that has been one advantage of the tragic event. The authorities are now stricter with enforcing the laws and guidelines on such clubs. I think even with dormitories and apartments they implemented stricter rules just because some of them are disobeying the guidelines set by law. There has to be adequate fire exits as well as fire extinguishers and alarm. Thankfully, not a lot of incidents like this has happened in a while.

Comment

A lot of things must be learned from this story. Have to be, actually.

1. There is no room for a fire at a small INDOOR venue. If you see someone trying to do something with a pyro, either hit him with something heavy or run the hell away as soon as possible. As quick as possible.

2. Find out in advance about the exists at any club you are about to attend. This will probably save you a life. If owners are not negligent, of course.

3. Avoid attending overly crowded small places, too. Stampede = death

Btw, I discovered this band after this accident. So sad. They were pretty decent, both in studio and live.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZp3qGS8C2c

It's their latest album. Ironically, they were playing the first song called "The Day We Die" when that all happened. Their label announced that If you buy the record legally, all of the money will be given to the victims as a part of their recovery program.

So, if there are any metalheads here, please check out their latest effort.

Comment

Working...
                    X