South Africa drought crisis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Africa drought crisis

The country that I currently reside in, has been experiencing a drought crisis over the past few months. South Africa is known it's rich mineral and rare gem deposits and we are home to some great mineral deposits, including the world's largest diamond, which we gave to a grandma who lives in England. The same way we sell all our raw materials to other countries, only to buy them back as processed goods for a higher price.

But we also focus a lot on agriculture as South Africa has great farming land due to the suitable conditions for basic food such as maize, the staple diet of many South Africans and a few areas are home to vineyards. The current drought crisis has resulted in farming becoming a lot more difficult. To put things into perspective, drought stricken farmers will require about four billion Rand ( about 263 million Dollars ) in aid. It puts a serious financial strain on the country and many farmers have had to sell or slaughter their livestock due to their inability to provide them with water. Many areas are completely deprived of water access and have to receive water bottles from other areas.

Many dams are at less than 30% full. Given that South Africa is the in the top 40 driest countries in the world, it makes sense, but it puts financial strain on a country that is already in serious debt as a result of being run by corrupt, uneducated officials. Our president, who failed Grade 12 and has spent all our tax money on his private residence for things such as a swimming pool, is still in power and nobody will ever do anything about it. I'm thinking of moving to a nice place like Canada but with all it's flaws, South Africa is still a great place to live, home to some wonderful people and for all I know, we could be in worse situations. The main objective is this post is to let the US/European community know that you should be happy with the wonderful places you live in, and never judge your leaders until you know how others are! Enjoy your beautiful countries and have a good week.
    gracer likes this.

It's truly saddening to read your story about the drought crisis in your homeland. I found this article about maize now being imported from US and Mexico because of the drought crisis. It says that about 1 million tons of white maize will have to be imported and about 2 million tons of yellow maize as well. The drought is already affecting people all over South Africa. I just hope that there will be more rain to come. I'm not just hoping, I'm praying for you and your countrymen as well.

Regarding your president, I admit that was shocking to me. Though our president is not perfect, I think he has done more for our country than any other presidents. It amazes me how some people can corrupt taxes and live the good life whilst there are people starving or dying of hunger.
    Country plans to ramp up maize imports from the US and Mexico amid the worst drought in a century
    gracer and SashaS like this.

Comment

It's really sad we still have this kind of problems in the 21st century. My country faces floods and drought at the same time. Sometimes I think that if people worked together they could end these types of humanitarian disasters. There are regions here that people simply waste water because there is 'too much of it' and regions where the government has to dig holes in the ground to find it, sad reality.
      SashaS likes this.

Comment

Hello Sasha! Since a great portion of Africa is made up of dry arid land, mostly deserts, plus the fact that most African countries are situated along the tropics, the temperature there is significantly higher than other continents. Your country is not alone, though. I'm from southeast Asia and we're likewise experiencing drought here - more popularly known as El Niņo. Water's becoming scarcer and even during the rainy season, the temperature climbs to 35 degrees Celsius.
        SashaS likes this.

Comment

xTinx Thankfully, from where I am, El Nino is starting to decline. However, its effects will still be long felt. According to this article, just like South Africa, corn production has been the one affected mostly by the drought crisis in my country. Almost 195,000 metric tons of corn were recorded to be the loss, with rice grains next at 94,000 metric tons. It's truly such a devastating incident for farmers who earn very little from their farming. It is even said that the farmers who sow rice and corn are the ones who cannot even eat them at all. I just hope South Africa will see a decline in this drought crisis as well.
          The worst of one of the strongest dry spells on record is over, but its impact will be felt for many months to come, according to the UN weather agency.
          SashaS likes this.

Comment

Thank you for sharing your current situation SashaS. It is indeed an eye opener for people to conserve water as much as we can. We are also experiencing drought in some parts of our country and although I am not affected where I live, I still feel like it's still my responsibility to conserve and value our water. Sometimes I see people wasting water and I just can't help but feel guilty for them. Water is so precious that no one should take it for granted just because there's plenty of supply.
            SashaS likes this.

Comment

Here in the UK, we're struggling with the exact opposite, and many parts of the country are flooded. We'd love a drought right about now to be honest!

On a serious note though, I'm not sure if places like Africa will ever be out of danger when it comes to water shortages, just simply because if the location and the type of country it is. That doesn't mean of course that other countries should stop trying to help, I just think that the way we help.might need to be looked at.

Comment

Working...
              X