Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian Volcano Erupts

http://www.disaster-report.com/2016/...in-russia.html

I, personally, am not sure what I'd do if a volcano erupted and was raining ash where I live, especially considering I don't currently have a vehicle. What would you guys recommend?

First of all, volcanoes hardly erupt without warning signs so the best thing to do would be to evacuate to the next town or a place far away from the eruption site while ash is still being spewed. In addition, always have an emergency fund ready so that in the event you need to evacuate or there's an earthquake, you wouldn't be strapped for cash and resort to looting. Preparation is the key.

Comment

Originally posted by xTinx View Post
      First of all, volcanoes hardly erupt without warning signs so the best thing to do would be to evacuate to the next town or a place far away from the eruption site while ash is still being spewed. In addition, always have an emergency fund ready so that in the event you need to evacuate or there's an earthquake, you wouldn't be strapped for cash and resort to looting. Preparation is the key.
      I agree with you, but I don't have an emergency cash fund, as bad as that is, and apparently less than half of Americans have any money put away for that sort of thing. It's scary to think about, but currently most of America is in a very precarious financial situation.

Comment

Originally posted by BoredPostman View Post

I agree with you, but I don't have an emergency cash fund, as bad as that is, and apparently less than half of Americans have any money put away for that sort of thing. It's scary to think about, but currently most of America is in a very precarious financial situation.
        Well if you don't have an emergency fund at present then perhaps you better start creating one. You don't know when an emergency occurs so the best time to prepare for tomorrow is today. Even a few coins will do. However, do it at your own time and pace so that you won't feel too pressured.
        gracer likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by xTinx View Post

Well if you don't have an emergency fund at present then perhaps you better start creating one. You don't know when an emergency occurs so the best time to prepare for tomorrow is today. Even a few coins will do. However, do it at your own time and pace so that you won't feel too pressured.
          Well I wasn't going to feel pressured, but thank you! Hahaha

Comment

Usually, the authorities will know if a volcano is about to erupt. They will warn the residents near the volcano to evacuate immediately if eruption is about to take place. And if that happens, I think we should just follow and leave everything behind. After all, material things can be replaced but our lives cannot be replaced at all.

In the unfortunate event that you are there when ash starts to fall, you should:

1. Stay inside if possible, close all doors and windows.

2. Use some goggles to protect your eyes. Have some mask to protect yourself from inhaling ash.

3. You cannot stay indoors for very long because the strong ash fall can destroy your house or shelter. Listen to the radio for updates on when you can leave the area immediately.

Comment

You should not go near a volcanic eruption, try to keep distance for those who like filming. If possible, use a vehicle and evacuate as fast as possible. If your eyes, nose, and throat become irritated from volcanic gases and fumes, move away from the area immediately. If you are indoors, close all the doors, windows and stay calm. Wear goggles to protect your eyes, if you are going outside. Avoid exposing yourself to ash since it can harm your respiratory tract.

Comment

Originally posted by Help212 View Post
                You should not go near a volcanic eruption, try to keep distance for those who like filming. If possible, use a vehicle and evacuate as fast as possible. If your eyes, nose, and throat become irritated from volcanic gases and fumes, move away from the area immediately. If you are indoors, close all the doors, windows and stay calm. Wear goggles to protect your eyes, if you are going outside. Avoid exposing yourself to ash since it can harm your respiratory tract.
                I've seen some horrible LiveLeak footage of filming bystanders being overrun by explosions and the like. DO NOT film the occurance. You should get away from the area as fast as you can, and it's not worth your life to film the disaster for social media exposure or whatever you intend to do with the footage. Strange how filming it is some people's first impulse.

Comment

Did my research. Luckily, people who live there were not affected by the eruption, as the winds blew in the opposite direction. I guess they feel kind of blessed.

Comment

Wow, I have never heard of volcano eruptions in Russia of all places. It just goes to show how unpredictable natural disasters can be. I would definitely run away as far as possible from the volcano. No amount of film footage is worth your life. If you have some sort of underground basement that you can easily exit once the disaster is over, then I recommend going in there if you cannot run away. Knowing before it happens is the most important factor, as long as you have some sort of internet connection or access to a television, you should know before it affects you. Prevention is better than cure so it is definitely good to avoid it as soon as possible,

Comment

When I was young I have also feared the thought of being in that situation, especially after watching a lot of movies with volcanic eruptions as their theme. As what xTinx said, volcanoes mostly don't erupt immediately without any signs or warnings of impending eruption. As far as I know, authorities would usually warn and evacuate residents living within the danger zones of a volcano which is about to erupt. So it is really best to heed the warnings and evacuate to a safer area as soon as possible.
                      xTinx likes this.

Comment

Here's an article that I found about it. Fortunately, no casualties or injuries were reported. The earthquake struck 64 miles north of the capital city of Kamchatka Krai. The volcano though is on a remote location which is why there were no casualties reported or even injuries reported. However, even far away malls, houses and establishments were shaken by the earthquake. Buildings within the area were thankfully made to withstand earthquakes. But the authorities did not take any chances and searched within the premises still.
                        A HUGE volcano has seen a massive eruption of toxic ash and gas just hours after a major earthquake rocked the region, causing shopping centre evacuations.

Comment

Working...
                        X