Flint Michigan Water Crisis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Famine] Flint Michigan Water Crisis

I feel for these people deeply. They can not drink their water, bath in it or even cook with it. We here in Indiana have been steady collecting water and sending it to them on truck daily just so they can drink water. Having the amounts of lead they do in their water supply is tragic. Clean water should be available for these people.

You are absolutely right about that! I read that there are thousands and thousands of children who have been exposed to very high levels of lead. I'm glad they're finally taking action by declaring it a state of emergency, while having other people take the reins for the city's time of need. I'm glad there are people like you and your state who are actively helping! If enough people join together, it may just be resolved before anything worse happens!

Comment

I have a friend who is from Michigan and she is a ctually getting ready to move back. She said that they have had problems with the water for years and it is just now starting to get nationwide attention. I am lucky to live in Washington where we have an abundance of clean drinking water. It was a good call to declare Flint in a state of emergency so that they can get the help they need. I would be completely happy to donate money or whatever it takes to get them clean water.

Comment

I think in the year 2016 it's sad that we still face disasters like these, especially considering the fact that this has not been solved for a long while now. I'd like to thank you for your service and your contribution to these people, however. I'm sure at this time they appreciate not only all the resources but also the support from people around the world.
        BranTheScooterMan likes this.

Comment

I'm sorry for the people who live there and I wish them all the best. I'm sure the government and authorities there are trying their best to help. We are facing a similar problem here in South Africa. We have a national water crisis that has resulted in our whole country having to import food, resulting in a great loss of money. It really makes you appreciate resources and become more wise with how you use the water you have.
          gracer likes this.

Comment

The impact of it in the lives of the people who live there will last years. Those who have already been contaminated with heavy metals might have diseases that could affect a few generations to come, just like the people that suffered from radiation on Fukushima. Of course, that disaster was much bigger than this one, but nonetheless, it still has a big impact on the life of the affected people.

Comment

That's the thing though. It was local government that caused this disaster all in the name of money. This is one that could have been prevented had government officials been acting for the good of the people rather than the good of the wallet.

With that said, it was an unfortunate combination of chemicals and ancient pipes that caused this problem and now society is going to have to deal with thousands of children who have been exposed to dangerous levels of lead.

Now here is where my post might make some of you uncomfortable. Lead, lead makes people stupid. It makes it hard for people to recall and process information. And now society is burdened with thousands of people who are disabled to one point or another and the root cause of this disaster is GREED.

​If thinking about that makes you uncomfortable, it should...

Comment

What's awful about a water crisis is that it disrupts the normal human way of life - often to a great extent. Your basic needs are compromised (you can't cook water-based meals or drink) and you can't even take a bath. In such a situation, it's impossible to go to work or school. Water contamination takes time to resolve. I don't think mass evacuation would be a viable solution either.

Comment

I really feel sorry for the people residing in Flint, Michigan. It's a relief that their water problem is now getting the attention it needs. This kind of thing is not something to be taken lightly because water is a basic need that our body needs in order for us to survive. Having a source of water contaminated with lead is truly a danger to everyone's health. Kudos to all the people who are doing anything they can to help the residents of Flint acquire decent water especially for drinking.

Comment

The whole situation is a mess. Between 6-12,000 children have been exposed to lead. It is linked to a possible outbreak of Legionnaires' disease that claimed the lives of 10 people in the county. And the incompetence and dishonesty that lead to the crisis is simply astounding. Ugh.
                    "Success is survival." ~ Leonard Cohen

Comment

I think it's appalling that these people have basically been completely screwed by the authorities over this situation. This hasn't just started, they have been suffering for years and it's been brushed under the carpet. I see Erin Brockovich has got involved now, so at least attention is being drawn to the problem Utterly shameful that the residents of this city have been exposed to such danger!

Comment

Yeah, like you I feel very deep and bad concern about all those innocent people who fell victims of the issue. Nobody in the world should feel like that. However, this crisis in only on the surface. There's a deeper problem about the city of Flint. Crime and corruption. They are destroying normal life there. Maybe, this crisis could have been prevented from happening.

Comment

I really can't imagine something like this can happen in the richest country in the world....
                          From what I have read this happened because the politicians that run Michigan and Flint wanted to save money so they switched to the Flint river knowing it was polluted.
                          Poor folks of Flint have really been getting screwed over for a long time, and now they can't even more away because who's going to buy a house in Flint now!

Comment

Very sad to know about such worst conditions in the world. No one knows, what can happen when, thus one can take steps towards them by giving helping hands, so that they can survive.

Comment

Working...
                            X